OSCAR IS 80 AND BOY HAS HE CHANGED

Is there no more US born actors, directors, cinematographers, producers, writers, makeup artists, costume designers, lighting or sound technicians, set designers or any other Hollywood professionals?

I watched the Academy Awards Sunday night. I have watched the Oscars every year since the early 1950’s, when I was a wee child. I have never seen so many awards go to the foreign born, not to mention foreign films. Don’t other countries have awards to give to their actors, directors, cinematographers, producers, writers, makeup artists, costume designers, lighting or sound technicians, set designers, etc.? Why must we give them a uniquely American reward? Can’t their own countries reward them? I suspect sometimes they do, resulting in what I would call double dipping. For shame!

I did not keep an accurate tally, but I do not believe I saw more than two or three US nationals receive Oscars during the evening. Even when I thought a winner might be American, mostly because of his or her name, their mouth would open and out would come a foreign accent. I am not parochial in my outlook; I enjoy a lot of the foreign born, especially those with Australian accents. Irish, French and Scottish are some others I particularly like. Also on the list is Jamaican, and those of the Indian sub continent. Italian is nice, as is Greek and Egyptian. But do they have to win all the Oscars?

A film critic on Sunday Morning, the TV show, espoused that who receives an Academy Award is a political contest, not really a reward for excellent artistic expression. If so, what does having all foreign born winners say about current politics among the Hollywood community?

Perhaps if this trend continues, it would be just as well to hold the Oscar ceremony elsewhere in the world so the recipients do not have to travel so far. And another thing, 99% of the fashions at the Oscars this year sucked. Bummer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not watch the Oscars as regularly as I use to as a kid. I saw it on Sunday but I think I am currently bitter with the writers strike and screwing up my love for THE OFFICE and all the mighty actors/writers who are on that show.

It is interesting that you note that there were not a lot of US born actors receiving Oscars but lets be real US actors have been receiving a lot of love at the Cannes in France for many years. Maybe it is a good thing we are opening up and appreciating the worldwide talent.

With global marketing and globalization in general I am afraid to say the good ole boy era is long gone. It is ending here with the retirement of the such. Both my Grandpa’s were good ole’ boys but and the last of them are my Dad’s age (50s) and currently retiring from our society and enjoying their last years (for some reason I feel your going to jump all over me for that statement)

Well Mama, Sue, I just wanted to say thanks for stopping by www.theobservationist.com and we enjoyed your comments. Nice blog!

Troy Divis

Unknown said...

Troy, Thanks for your kind comment that I have a nice blog. I like it, but I know there are better, especially my son's, but I dare say if I were his age, mine might be a little more edgy too.

As to the Oscars, this post was somewhat tongue in cheek and I do not follow the Cannes film festival, but if they are in the habit of bestowing more awards on US actors then those from other countries, I would speculate—“They know where their bread is buttered.” This is unlike whatever motivates the Academy members to pass up equally compelling US born nominees to vote for the foreign born.
As to the “good ole boy” comment, you must be as young or younger then Joe. I am older than your Dad by as much as a decade; however, the “gold ole boys” of my generation are the male chauvinist hard drinking bigoted country boys of the South. You were not comparing me or your Dad with those folks were you?
By the way, you can check with Joe (Safetinspector) on this, but I think I can safely say, I am more technologically savvy then the majority of my peers. I have a self taught proficiency with computers and other technical gadgets that amazes those that know me. Joe has said that if I were born 20 years later, I would have become a professional in the computer field like him instead of a social worker, which I was.
Anyway, thanks for visiting, y’all come back now!